Authored by: UrbanWale Blog Contributor, Nisha Singhania
Today air conditioners have become an essential appliance in our homes. But do you know that if they are not handled properly they can be fatal? You have purchased a new air conditioner for your room. It is installed, and you want to check that it is working properly. Like most people, you accept the AC to work - as long as it provides validity. Well, after that, you purchased a 5-star rating AC from a reputable company, and you would expect it to work well, save electricity and maintain a maintenance-free life. But the excitement is short-lived. Some post-installation issues may be the result of poor installation processes or poor post-sales service or maintenance. With this post, we will try to provide you with some important things that you should keep in mind during the installation and service of your air conditioner.
Here is our list of safety measures that you should follow while installing, operating, and repairing your AC unit.
Safety measures while installing an AC unit
- The location of the AC is important. Make sure your AC does not have any appliances or equipment with flammable gases.
- An earth leak breaker is a must. Not installing a breaker can cause electric shock when operating the AC. In addition, the earth cable must not connect to a gas pipe, water pipe, or telephone earth cable.
- Ensure there is no water in the drain hose pipe during installation.
- Safety measures while operating an AC unit
- Make sure your hands dry whenever you handle the switch.
- If you have children at home, make sure they do not use the indoor unit as a swing or plaything.
- Do not spray or place flammable insecticide or paint spray near the blower as it may cause a fire.
- Do not put any liquid or water in the AC unit as it can damage the insulation and cause electric shock.
- Do not place any electrical appliances or other household items under the indoor and outdoor units of the air conditioner.
- If you are cleaning or dusting your AC unit, make sure the power supply is turned off. Do not open the panel even when the fan is still rotating.
- If your AC is for servicing, hire an expert AC technician from Urbanwale.
Safety tips while repairing an AC unit
- Again, do not attempt to repair your AC yourself. Book an AC technician from Urbanwale.
- Put a sticker on the AC unit that says "Do not turn on" so that everyone in your home is aware and safe.
- Do not touch any living wires or conductors with your bare hands.
- Getting your AC repaired during daytime hours is the best option as there is enough natural light to identify the problem without switching on any other electrical appliances. Ensure that any gas recharge is carried out.
- During the AC repair service, make sure that the children are not around and that you too are at a safe distance from the unit.
- Allow technicians to work independently, not try to be overly supportive during repair service.
Here are some simple AC safety tips that can protect you and your loved ones from injury or damage.
AC Safety Tips # 1: Get ready AC Before Another Summer Season
After prolonged use, the AC may contain substantial dirt and dust. There may also be problems with damaged wires and circuits. If not attended to, these issues pose a security risk to the homeowner. Mud and dust can cause allergies and other health problems while inaccurate wiring can cause electric motions. The best way to prevent these types of problems from occurring is by an authorized HVAC professional with an annual AC tone.
AC Safety Tip # 2: Changing and cleaning the AC filter regularly
The AC filter eliminates air pollution through the air conditioning system. It helps to make your room as comfortable as possible by removing pollutants such as dust, dirt, and allergies. If the filter is old or defective, you will be exposed to unsafe, polluted air. Therefore, as necessary, clean and replace them.
AC Safety Tip # 3: Disconnect all power sources during servicing the AC unit
If doing AC maintenance, you should start working on any heavy removal and wiring beforehand, making sure you turn off all electrical outlets. You should also know that some air conditioning units have more than one power switch. If you are not sure of the location of all these switches, you should not attempt to service the AC on your own.
AC Safety Tips # 4: Follow All Safety Tips in the AC Manufacturer's Guide
Different types of electrical equipment require different hands. You cannot operate your AC in the same way you control some other residential equipment. Fortunately, makers always run with every tool available. Be sure to follow the instructions in your AC manual at all times. Otherwise, besides risking your life, you can afford to void your factory warranty.
AC Security # 5: Beware of changes in your AC unit
You need to know that something is out of the ordinary or sounds. If you see a wire coming out of the AC unit, or there is unusual noise from the unit, you should consider these as a sign of trouble. If you detect such issues, do not wait. Contact a licensed AC technician for professional assistance.
Do not miss a chance with the safety of your family. Call Urbanwale day or night for reliable, inexpensive AC repairs in Jamshedpur. It is important to not only buy the right product, but it is also important to make sure that the installation is done properly and that the product is well maintained. A good installation and a healthy AC can do well with low energy consumption, but if it is not properly installed or taken care of, it can result in disappointment from a good purchase.